Listing sponsored by
Scientific Breakthrough. No Shots
Science response to skin aging.
Phone: 713-655-1912 -
The Heritage Society was the first museum in Houston to be accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Sam Houston Park is a remarkable outdoor museum. Here, in the reflection of Houston's gleaming downtown are some of the city's oldest structures. Restored and furnished in 19th century fashion, the buildings are open for guided tours every day except Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Thanksgiving.
Also located in the park is a small museum gallery that serves as a visitor orientation gallery with information about the historic structures in Sam Houston Park. The museum also houses the Duncan Store, a general store built in 1878 in Egypt, Texas. The general store sold everything from food to coffins! It was a meat market, lumber yard, post office, and saddlery. The newest permanent museum exhibit is a 1911 Model T Ford. The museum also has a changing exhibit gallery. Admission to the museum is FREE.
Nichols-Rice-Cherry House -- This Greek-Revival house was built about 1850 by Ebeneezer B. Nichols, a native of Cooperstown, New York. Between 1856 and 1873 it was owned by William Marsh Rice, financier and founder of Rice University. In 18797 the house was saved from demolition and moved from its downtown site by Mrs. Emma Richardson Cherry. In 1959 it became the first house to be moved into the park.
The Bandstand -- A copy of the original turn of the century Houston City Park bandstand, this late Victorian style structure is a focal point for Sam Houston Park and an appropriate setting for a great variety of special events.
Staiti House -- Built in 1905 in the Westmoreland Addition as a speculative house, it was purchased by oil pioneer Henry T. Staiti. The 17 room house included the latest feature, electricity and had professional landscaping. An addition to the house was designed by Alfred Finn. The Staiti House was moved into Sam Houston Park in 1986.
St. John Church -- In 1891 German farmers built this country church in northwest Harris County for their Evangelical Lutheran congregation. It still has its original altar-pulpit and cypress plank pews. The church was given to the Heritage Society by the congregation in 1968.
San Felipe Cottage -- This simple six room house was built at the southwestern edge of Houston on the old San Felipe Road. It has been restored as a typical Texas cottage of the 1870's. The house was added to the park in 1972.
Pillot House -- Built in 1868 by Eugene Pillot, this house was occupied continuously by the Pillot family until 1964. The family gave the house to the park in 1965. The mid-Victorian structure features significant innovations including its kitchen which is believed to have been the first attached kitchen in Houston.
The Old Place -- This cabin moved from the west bank of Clear Creek in 1973, is thought to be the oldest remaining structure in Harris County. It was probably built by John R. Williams, an Austin colonist, about 1823. Roughly hewn cedar logs form the frame which was incorporated by later owners into a much larger house once known as the Joseph Davis Plantation house.
The Tea Room -- Located in the Long Row building, the Tea Room offers catering for lunches, receptions, dinners, cocktail parties, meetings, and other special events.
St. John Church
San Felipe Cottage
The Old Place
Do you have any additional comments concerning this site?
If you wish to return to the Museums Tour Homepage.