Listing sponsored by
Scientific Breakthrough. No Shots
Science response to skin aging.
The Muskegon Museum of Art's permanent collection provides West Michigan access to a world-class collection of visual art - paintings, prints, sculpture and glass.
Masterevorks by Cassatt, Degas, Homer, Hopper, Remington, Whistler, Wyeth and others are enhanced by a wide range of educational programs, services and temporary exhbits designed to make art accessible to a variety of audiences.
The museum's Hackley Galleries feature selections from the permanent collection, while the museum's Walker Galleries display the temporary exhibitions.
The Muskegon Museum of Art was founded in 1912, as the result of a bequest from a Muskegon lumber baron, Charles H. Hackley, to improve the quality of life of the community. Hackley's bequest carried with it an instruction to purchase "pictures of the very best kind."
Following Hackley's admonition, early museum directors assembled the nucleus of the collection that achieved national recognition in 1916 as a "remarkable example of progress in ffie arts" (Chicago Tribune).
In its 80 year history, the MMA has maintained the high standards of Hackley's bequest and established a collection that has been acknowledged by museum peers, art historians and national accrediting agencies as the premier collection between Chicago and Detroit.
The MMA's permanent collection will surprise the first time visitor as well as the art scholar with its quality, depth and charm. The rich collection of American paintings includes works by Burchfield, Cassatt, Homer, lnness, Whistler, Wyeth and the only paintings by Hopper in a Michigan public collection. European painting is represented by the rich creations of such masters as Bonnard, Cranach, van Cleve, Sisley, Pissarro, and Vuillard.
Noteworthy among the museum's treasures are the more than 5,000 works on paper, including an outstanding selection of prime examptes of old master and modern prints among these works by Degas, Durer, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Chagall and Picasso. In addition, such noted photographers as Curtis, Adams, Cunningham and Weston are represered in the collection. Tiffany glass, contemporary glass sculpture, Native American textiles and sculpture add strength to the collection.
In 1978, the L.C. and Margaret Walker Foundation made a major contribution for the addition of the Walker Wing, including gallery space, administrative offices and collections storage. The museum's Hackley Galleries features selections from the permanent collection, while the Walker Galleries display a wide range of temporary exhibitions.
The Hackley Gallery Renovation project, completed in l994 for nearly $1 million, installed climate contol and new electrical systems, providing a stable, secure environment for the treasures of the permanent collection. The renovation also returned the galleries to the architect's original (1912) intent wilh a restoration of oak floors, box-style ceilings and colored wall treatments. The permanent collection has been reinstalled in theese newly refurbished galleries, and provides an aesthetic experience unparalleled in West Michigan.
16th Annual Student Art Show
Purr...Children's Book Illustrators Brag About Their Cats
Illuminating: Louis Comfort Tiffany Lamps
70th Annual Regional Art Competition
Hackley-Hume Historic Sites: Paintings by Bruce McCombs
Henry Matthews, Director