Listing sponsored by
Scientific Breakthrough. No Shots
Science response to skin aging.
Phone: 216-421-7340 --
TTY: 216 421 0018
The mission of the Cleveland Museum of Art is to fulfill its dual roles as one of the world's most distinguished comprehensive art museums and as one of northeastern Ohio's principal civic and cultural institutions.
The museum, established in 1913 "for the benefit of all the people forever,"1 seeks to bring the pleasure and meaning of art to the broadest possible audience in accordance with the highest aesthetic, intellectual and professional standards.
Toward this end the museum augments, preserves, exhibits and fosters understanding of the outstanding collections of world art it holds in trust for the public and presents complementary exhibitions and programs.
The Cleveland Museum of Art embraces its leadership role in collecting, scholarship, education and community service.
1. J.H. Wade II, act of conveyance of land to be used for the CMA.
One of the world's great art museums, The CMA is known for the exeptional quality and breadth of its collections, with choice works of art from every culture and period. Especially famous are its collections of Asian, Medieval, American, European, Ancient Mediterranean, and pre-Columbian American Arts.
The Buildings and the Fine Arts Garden: The elegant 1916 Beaux Arts building, designed by Cleveland's Hubbell and Benes, has seen major expansions - a 1958 addition doubled gallery space, and a second, designed by Marcel Breuer, opened in 1971 with education facilities and special exhibition galleries. A 1983 wing houses the distinguished Ingalls art library.
The buildings include some 70 galleries, a large auditorium, lecture and recital halls, classrooms, and a museum store and cafe. An outdoor sculpture court is open to diners in season. The museum setting is the Fine Arts Garden, a 15-acre public landscaped park designed by the Olmsted Brothers firm.
The museum and Fine Arts Garden are the visual centerpiece of Cleveland's University Circle, a highly concentrated campus of museums, performing arts facilities, and educational institutions.
The collection of more than 30,000 works of art ranges over 5,000 years, from ancient Egypt to the present, and includes masterpieces from Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.
It is renowned for its superb quality and cultural breadth. Founded by a group of civic-minded philanthropists "for the benefit of all the people forever," the museum opened to the public on June 6, 1916.
True to the spirit of the founders, general admission is always free.
CALENDAR of EVENTS for the coming season:
Dr. Robert P. Bergman, Director
Holly Witchey, Manager, New Media Initiatives
Thomas H. Barnard, Publications Office
Karen Ferguson, Administrative Asst